1. Visit the Children’s Gallery at the Pretoria Art Museum – click for our description of the activities you can enjoy as well as visitor information you will need to plan a visit.
2. Saturdays, Riding Lessons near Onderstepoort and Pony club rallies regulary. Good for muscle tone, sportsmanship etc.
3. Transvaal museum of Natural History – Kids love Dinosaur section
4. Gold Reef City Theme Park – Africa’s greatest theme park created around an authentic 19th century Gold mine with underground tours, gold pouring, historical exhibits, restaurants, amusement attractions, a Victorian hotel and more.
Gold Reef City Theme Park Visitor Info
firstname.lastname@example.org or Tel 011-2486800
From 1 May 2010 Gold Reef City Theme Park is open Wed – Sunday from 9h30 am to 17h00.
They are open every public holiday and every day during the Gauteng school holidays. Not open on Christmas day.
For entrance fees visit http://www.goldreefcity.co.za/about_theme.php
5. Smut’s House in Irene
6. Fort Klapperkop
7. Melrose House
8. Pretoria Zoo
232 Boom St, Pretoria
email@example.com or Tel 012-3283265
The Pretoria Zoo is open 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Tickets are sold from 8h30 to 16h30 daily and the zoo closes at 17h30.
Elephants at the Pretoria Zoo
Entrance fees (check for updated prices)
The entrance fee includes a visit to the Aquarium and Reptile Park, as well as the Zoo.Adults: R49
Children (2-15): R33
Organised school groups: R22 (Monday to Wednesday)
Organised school groups: R30 (Thursday and Friday)
School tariffs are not applicable during the school holidays, public holidays or weekends.
10. Every Wednesday morning, Active Education offers 2 hours of ACTION SPORT for homeschoolers. The event is held at the Action Sport Arena at Northlands Deco Park, Randburg. All ages (2/1/2 – 17!) are well catered for and a professionally developed program is provided according to the childs age and ability. Registration is from 09h30 and coaching begins at 10h00. A game to re-inforce the knowledge learnt during the coaching session, is then played in teams from 11h00 until 12h00. The venue offers refreshments and light meals for sale. All homeschoolers are welcome!
11. Douglasdale Dairy factory tours-Waterloo road, Douglasdale
Very good and informative tours through factory showing the process of milk packaging and testing as well as pastuerizing and homogenizing. Kids feeds young calfs and get a goodie bag to take home- they welcome small groups and homeschool groups. Contact Louise at -011-5490423.
12. The Lory Park Zoo in Midrand is a fun outing for children and parents, where you can really get close to the animals. There is a petting area where one can touch and play with the youngest members (currently there are two gorgeous puma cubs), tame and talkative birds that will sit on your shoulder, adorable lemurs and meerkats who will gently take peanuts from you, beautiful eagles to admire, REALLY BIG CATS (my favourite)to awe you, and more. The zoo is small and compact so you can enjoy everything and be out of there before everyone becomes tired and cranky. There is a tea garden, toilets and a jungle gym. Next time, we will take a picnic basket though. Youngsters from 8-16 can spend an educational day at the zoo as a “ranger”, cleaning cages and feeding animals etc., at R100 for the day. Entrance fees are R40 for adults and R30 for children under 12. They are closed on Mondays. For more information and directions, go to http://www.lorypark.co.za/
13. Ons besoek graag die Irene Dairy Farm. Dit is in Irene, Centurion. Daar is baie om te sien en te doen op hierdie ten volle werkende melkplaas. Ons stap graag op die plaas rond tussen die weikampe. dit is oop vir die publiek. Daar is heelwat wilde voels te sien. Dit is ‘n baie ou plaas met lieflike groot ou bome en dit is ‘n voorreg om hier in die stad so in die natuur te kan wees. As mens op die regte tyd daar is kan die kinders ervaar hoe die koeie aangejaag word na die melkery en dan kyk hoe die koeie gemelk word. Die kalfies word eenkant op hok gehou en die kinders kan aan hul vat en hul voer. Ons gaan soms na die plaas toe met ‘n piekniekmandjie en lees eenvoudig daar op die gras terwyl ons piekniek hou. Daar is ook 2 restaurante waar die vars produkte van die plaas gebruik word. Ons koop weekliks ons melk, eiers en room by die plaas en die kinders sien en ervaar op hierdie manier die volle proses van melkboerdery sommer so op een plek.
14. Sci-Bono Newtown Johannesburg – great outing, resource and learning experience for kids of all ages. http://www.sci-bono.co.za
15. Lesedi Cultural Village – http://www.lesedi.com/school.htm
School rates for a group of homeschoolers, introduction to the culture of Zulu, Basotho, Xhosa, Pedi and Ndebele tribes.
16. Roodepoort Museum
The Roodepoort Museum is a local community museum, which covers the development of Roodepoort from mining camp to city and the discovery of gold on the Witwatersrand.
Civic Centre, Christiaan de Wet Road, Florida Park
Tel: 011 761 0226
Fax: 011 674 4043
Open by appointment only.
17. Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve – http://www.rhinolion.co.za/home
18. Wonder Caves http://www.rhinolion.co.za/wcave
19. Johannesburg Planetarium – http://www.planetarium.co.za/
20. National Children’s Theatre – http://www.nationalchildrenstheatre.org.za/
“The NCT presents stage adaptations of classics, contemporary plays and educational theatre to the acclaim of critics and joy of audiences. Well-loved stories, fantastic characters, beautiful sets and costumes come together to bring the magic of theatre to thousands of children from all socio-economic backgrounds.” They offer school rates to groups of homeschoolers if you ask when you book.
21. Montecasino Bird Gardens
Bird shows twice a day between Monday and Friday, and three times a day over the weekend and on public holidays.
Over 60 species of birds, small mammals and reptiles in the walk-through aviary.
22. Apartheid museum – recommended for older students
Help us build this section
THINGS TO DO IN GAUTENG
Have you been on a great educational field trip or visited a place of interest? Contact us to share your outing and your pictures!
SUBMISSIONS FROM OTHER VISITORS
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page…
Transvaal Museum of Natural History
We visited the Transvaal Museum of Natural History as a family. This great museum provides a memorable experience for any age. We still stand in awe at …
Modderfontein Nature Reserve
Have your nature walks at Modderfontein Nature Reserve – now open to the public. R30 per adult and R15 per child. On entry you will be given an information …
Join the JHB Zoo Badger Club
To all Home-Educators in JHB, The Zoo needs your support! The zoo’s monthly Tuesday Honey Badger Club is under threat of closure due to lack of …